In the area of research the Department focuses mainly on:
- literature for children and youth,
- contemporary Slovak literature,
- contrastive grammar.
Within the different disciplines particular attention is given to the following fields of research and specialisation:
- history of Slovak literary-science reflection of children's and youth literature,
- children´s literary magazines,
- totalitarian Slovak literature,
- comparative view of verbs in Romance languages and in Slovak.
The Department has regularly organised international scientific conferences:
- 1st International conference of Dionýz Ďurišin Centre POETIC TRANSFORMATIONS IN THE 20th CENTURY NOVEL IN CENTRAL EUROPE AND THE WHOLE AREA OF EUROPE
- 2nd International conference of Dionýz Ďurišin Centre THE ESSAY AS A GENRE – THE REFLECTIVE AREA OF 20th-CENTURY EVENTS
- 3rd International conference of Dionýz Ďurišin Centre NOVEL AS A GENRE PANCATEGORY IN WORLD LITERATURE: WHY?